Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Stop procrastinating! And get back to it

How lethargy slowly creeps in and procrastination wins every argument.

It's been about 3 (please tell me it's not 4!!!) weeks since I've exercised the body. Of course I blame Christmas and New Year time... too busy shopping, partying, celebrating Christmas and of course the bringing in of the new year.

Then of course the corporate side of our organisation closed for 10 days, so I didn't have my usual work exercise buddies to join after work for a few sessions.

The gym classes I enjoy were put on hold (ummm but I still could have gone to the gym and done my own thing, gosh why did I only think of that now?), pole dancing classes had finished for the year (still to resume next week), where I have moved to there really isn't any awe-inspiring-get-my-toosh-out-of-bed places to get up for a walk (wow what an excuse that is!). And then of course the determined, I AM DEFINITELY GOING TO START AGAIN NEXT WEEK, except next week arrives and .... yes you get my point.

Finally one of my friends and I got our poop together and did it. We decided enough was enough and no more excuses, so headed to one of the nearest park lands for a brisk walk around the 6km (3.7m) lake.

Yes, the sun was shining brightly and it was still hot at 5.30pm (by the time I got home at 7pm it was still 32C / 89.5F). I could feel the sweat form on my back, causing it to go itchy. The water fountain at the half way mark, while providing a much needed drink, provided only warm water.

I will admit the last 1km (.62m) the legs started to ache (to think we usually include jogging into this cycle but not tonight) and it felt like we would never reach the car park. Delusions started with visions and craving for take-away chicken and chips (I'm vegetarian... work that one out?) to ease the hunger (salad for lunch sometimes does not cut it).

At the last 500m mark we had reached the grassed picnic area and headed under the shade of trees. A lone man was on one bench overlooking the lake area (unfortunately with our lack of rain, the lake has started to dry out), playing a clarinet, picnicker's were unpacking baskets, drifts of cooked onion came from the bbq's.... and to think I could have missed being out on such a gorgeous evening, all because I procrastinated.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...pole dancing class...sounds very, very interesting ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's a very, very good workout Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. About time you got your lazy butt moving. I have already had two Zumba classes and it is only 98 days till we see Jacob again.
    Hugs Darln. Will call you soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally need motivation, too. I keep saying I'll start in the spring when all the snow melts so that I have a place to walk, but who am I kidding? I'll probably keep putting it off, then use the excuse that summer is too hott and then it fall will be here for about a week and then winter will settle in once again. Then I'll promise myself again to start in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Promise Mynx the toosh is moving :). Now Jacob is inspiration, oooh sounds like I convinced you, lets hope it's not raining (oh is that another excuse?)

    Oh JM, know exactly where you are coming from. I think the hardest part is getting out the door to do something. The best motivation is to drag / coerce / beg someone to join in with you, then you feel guilty if you don't do what you promised.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...