Monday, January 24, 2011

Not sure where we are going or what we are doing...

Well if Oprah can do it, there is nothing stopping me!

And you, dear friends, are one of my specially chosen audience members... a bit of hysteria about now please (oh and don't expect pink diamonds and pearls, vegemite not a problem).

Sydney - not sure where we are going or what we are doing but come along for the ride: Day 1.

On a side note, be prepared I don't tend to plan in great detail, so each day is an adventure for me too, just the unknowing of what is to come!)

To make the most of the day when we reach Sydney and due to a three hour time difference (yes each Australian State has a different time), we are flying the first available morning flight (no grumbling now, just because it means we have a 3am start, it is worth it, no point arriving when the day is almost done) on our chosen carrier, Qantas (if anyone out there is from Qantas, I am more than happy to do sponsored Adventures and blog favourably about my experience).





Unfortunately, Captain John Travolta had an urgent family commitment, so whilst he had every intention of being our own personalised Captain on this journey, family comes first. However, he did pre-record a personal welcome message, which was waiting for us once we embarked (and of course being a safety conscious airline, emphasised the importance of watching the safety demonstration).

Our chosen accommodation for the next few nights is a 1800's wool storage / warehouse building that has been converted into funky self-contained apartments, a stone's throw from Darling Harbour.

You did remember comfortable shoes, didn't you? As the only way to really explore a city is on foot!

Maps to my brain are, well to me, just a squiggle of lines and concentrating on lines, you may miss out on so much. So as long as I have a vague idea of where we should be heading, my best method of getting to a destination is to pick someone and follow them. Not only does this get us to where we are going, but provides an interesting journey into unknown side streets, with hidden staircases, the real vibe of a city.

Our destination, this afternoon, those famous landmarks that have become known as Australia: the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Having chosen my target, an American tourist who has just left her hotel (and looks like she knows where we are going), we head off. Our first stop is Pyrmont Bridge, the perfect place to over-look the hustle and bustle of Darling Harbour. Darling Harbour is a happening place. Full of waterside restaurants and bars, shopping, departure points for various harbour tours and home to the Australian Maritime Museum, Aquarium and Wildlife Centre.

Pyrmont Bridge connects the western suburbs to the city, and how cool is this, when a marine vessel needs to get to the end of the dock, the middle section of the bridge rotates to allow the vessel through.

Next target I choose are two young Italian guys. We head towards the City centre, following the signs to the Harbour Bridge, however at one stage my inbuilt beacon, determining we are going slightly off the beaten path, into Oxford Street, so glancing at Maps on my phone I detour back on track. Sydney is a combination of the old and the new. Limestone convict built buildings, converted into trendy businesses, terrace inner-city houses with the Cosmopolitan giants of the CBD providing a glass backdrop.


I arrive at The Rocks area (my favourite place....where the first colony was established, becoming home to sailors, whalers and traders) and head towards our destination point.

Ladies and gentlemen may I present the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge, dah dah.


It's not all work on my tours, we do have time, for a refreshing break, time to sit and take the scene in, watching the ferries come and go through the harbour.

Mmmm, I'm thinking you are hungry by this stage as it is hitting evening, well I know just the place. Back into the Rocks, what better place than for a little bit of indulgence, than... the Guylian Belgian Chocolate Cafe... chocolate heaven. I have to say I have never had a shake like a Guylian Praline Shake, smooth as velvet and full of calories, but hey we're on holiday and are allowed some self-indulgence, plus I did top it off with a healthy quiche and salad, even though the various chocolate desserts looked as if they were to die for (including chocolate brownies - lightly dusted with what looks like gold dust).


Time to head back, sauntering through the streets full of boutiques, shops, restaurants, bars and laned history. Until tomorrow.... lets hope we don't get to detoured on the way back!

6 comments:

  1. OK...time for me to revisit Sydney....it's been 20 years since I was there! Great pics and enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exhausted from just trying to stay abreast of you but thoroughly enjoying the tour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh let me know when you are planning the trip, Chief, I might have to gate-crash, it is such a fun place. It's been about that long since I last visited Sydney too, oops!

    There's more to come Don, so get a little bit of rest before the next instalment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my legs are tired now... oh no hippos...ohhh tuesdays,right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome IWBY, that's right Tuesdays, and to come naked isn't it?.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm late again. Bubbles, chocolate and Italian men. Shaping up to be a perfect holiday

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...