Monday, January 3, 2011

Last day of freedom

As the last day of freedom from work closes in, what a better way to spend it then another day in paradise with friends at a beach cafe (sans spiders), enjoying local seafood (dukkah crusted barramundi) and white wine. Today has been humid so the breeze off the sea provided much welcome relief.

As a couple of my followers have ex-military backgrounds, I hope the following pics, may be of some interest (I acknowledge that it is not from the same Service they served in, but hey nothing wrong with a bit of inter-service rivalry :)).



The view from the table, not bad! The land mass in the background (trust me it is land in the way distance there) is Garden Island, connected to the mainland by a causeway. This is the Royal Australian Navy's main and largest fleet and submarine base, HMAS Stirling.



In an effort to walk off lunch is, a brief sojourn through the Naval Memorial Park. Aligning the walkway, plaques dedicated to the men and women who served on (now) decommissioned ships.






The submarine fin from HMAS Orion and the gun turret from HMAS Derwent.




And then a final look at the ocean before the afternoon ends, *sigh*.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! It finally warmed up here slightly over the weekend and I got to see grass for the first time in a month! I can't wait til warm weather comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JM. Yay, I'm glad things have started to thaw out for you. I'm definitely a summer person, I think the thing I miss most during winter is the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I served with Australian Army and Air Force people but no Aussie Navy....maybe because there was no friggin water within about 2 hours of us :-) But I have the utmost respect for all who honorably serve their countries...great pic...and if you keep rubbing in the great weather, I'm gonna hit you with a snowball!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos that differ a bit from those taken on your earlier day at the beach. There's actually a small amount of surf action in these. Before, the water looked so calm and serene, more like that of an inland lake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you have to put that on the list for easter. The Barra sounds devine. Any stray men in uniform? I know you would have been looking.
    Hugs gorgeous lady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad, water helps :). Snowball fights sound fun. I promise I will let you rub in your great weather when it's my winter!

    Don, I'm so glad you enjoyed the photo's. The breeze off the sea that day was such a welcoming relief.

    Mynx, consider it added :). And yes the barra was devine. Alas, they were confined to the base that day. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...